Can I stay in the US if I start a business?

Can I stay in the US if I start a business?

Can I stay in the US if I start a business?

Yes, you can potentially stay in the United States if you start a business, but it typically requires you to meet certain eligibility criteria and follow specific visa processes. Here are some common options for entrepreneurs looking to start a business and stay in the U.S.:

E-2 Treaty Investor Visa

This visa is available to nationals of countries that have a treaty of commerce and navigation with the United States. To qualify, you must make a substantial investment in a U.S. business and develop it into a viable enterprise. There is no fixed minimum investment amount, but it must be substantial in relation to the type of business.

L-1 Intracompany Transfer Visa

If you already have a business abroad and want to open a U.S. branch or subsidiary, you may qualify for an L-1 visa. This visa allows for the transfer of managers, executives, or employees with specialized knowledge to the U.S. branch.

EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program

This program grants permanent residency (Green Card) to foreign investors who invest a significant amount of capital in a new commercial enterprise that creates jobs for U.S. workers. The minimum investment amount varies based on the location of the business (either $1.8 million or $900,000 in a Targeted Employment Area).

O-1 Visa for Extraordinary Ability

If you possess extraordinary skills or expertise in your field and your business venture is directly related to your expertise, you might qualify for an O-1 visa. This is a non-immigrant visa, but it can be a pathway to a more permanent status.

H-1B Visa (for Self-Employed Entrepreneurs)

While the H-1B visa is typically for foreign workers sponsored by U.S. employers, it is possible for entrepreneurs to use this visa if they can demonstrate a legitimate employer-employee relationship and meet other requirements.

Startup Visa (proposed)

As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, there were discussions about creating a “Startup Visa” program in the United States. The details of this program may have evolved since then, so it’s essential to check the latest immigration policies and updates from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) or consult with an immigration attorney for the most current information.

Can I stay in the US if I start a business?

Can I stay in the US if I start a business?

It’s crucial to consult with an immigration attorney or seek guidance from the appropriate U.S. government agencies to determine the specific requirements and options available to you based on your circumstances. Immigration laws and policies can change over time, so staying informed about the latest developments is essential when considering starting a business in the U.S. and seeking a visa to stay.